Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mini Mama

I really have to watch what I say or do around Kaelyn. Ninety-five percent of the time, she is Mama's girl and wants to do whatever Mama is doing. If I am reading a magazine, she has to read the magazine. If I am holding something, she has to hold it. If I am eating something, she has to have a bite. Even if Josh is eating exactly the same thing, she has to have some of mine but leaves him alone. Grr. It's flattering but frustrating all at the same time.

Thus, Kaelyn's new favorite toys come as no big surprise. Although she got lots of cool stuff at her birthday party, the toys she plays with the most are the toys that replicate stuff she sees me use. These would be her Friendly Flip Phone, her Pretty Learning Purse, and her newborn baby doll. These toys now accompany us whenever we leave the house. Here is a picture of Kaelyn and her entourage in the grocery store.

Kaelyn is always playing with my phone and purse, so I knew she would love those, but I'm pleasantly surprised about the baby doll. She already had a couple of colorful cloth dolls (designed for babies) that she has played with off and on, but her new doll actually looks like a real baby. She has been carrying her around, giving her hugs and kisses, and smiling and talking to her. Baby Doll even got to RIDE IN THE HIPPO WALKER, a privilege not granted to any of her other toys. (Read the post "Walking with Hippos," and you will understand the significance of this act.) Baby Doll came with a hat and blankie. Although Baby Doll isn't allowed to wear her hat, she does get snuggled in her blankie from time to time. Kaelyn is a good little mama. If she is imitating me, I guess I am doing something right after all. As you can see, I've already taught her the art of multi-tasking. Mamas need to know how to drive, answer the cell phone, dig through the purse, and take care of the baby all at the same time!

No comments: